Wednesday 28 January 2015

The challenge



The challenge

In 2015, I have entered a series of 8 tough sporting challenges, in 3 different disciplines.  They include amongst others, hilly off road runs (1 of which is at night), a 2.2 mile sea swim from the breakwater in Plymouth back to land, a bike ride across Dartmoor with 6,300 ft of ascent and an Olympic Distance Triathlon.

I am doing this because I love exercise, getting outdoors and competing.  But I also want to give something back, by raising money for 2 amazing charities.  Jeremiah’s Journey is a charity supporting children who have experienced or who are anticipating the death of someone special.  They are a small charity and manage to do a lot with a little, so they really would benefit from our support.

I work at Bond Dickinson, a national law firm.  I lead a team in Plymouth and we are a close knit office.  Last year 2 of our colleagues sadly died from cancer, taken before their time.  This brings me on to my other charity, St Luke’s Hospice. St Luke’s have been caring for thousands of terminally ill patients for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the past 30 years.

If you would like to sponsor me, here is my page.  http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StephenDilley

Perhaps by writing this blog, I can raise a little more money or inspire others to do their own challenge.



The events

I estimate that with all the training, I will cycle and run about 1,060 miles, ascending over 88,000 ft and spend many hours swimming.  Barring injury, these are the events:
1. Oh My Obelisk, 11/1/2015. An 11.4 mile trail race in Dawlish with 1,448 ft of climbing.  (Completed 1hour 29 mins, 35 secs).
2. Wild Night Run, 31/1/2015, A 10 mile night run on Dartmoor with nearly 1,300 ft of climbing.  (Completed 1 hour 29 minutes, 32 secs).
3. Dartington Duathlon 29/3/2015. 5k run/20k bike/2.5k trail run.  (Completed 1 hour 10 mins).
4. Hammer Sportive 12/4/2015.  A 65.2 mile bike ride in the South Hams with 5,905 ft of ascent, finishing in Salcombe with a mean Alp d'Huez style climb involving 5 hairpin bends.  (Completed 4 hours 42 mins)
5. Dartmoor Classic Sportive 21/6/2015.  A 67 mile bike ride on Dartmoor with 6,300 ft of climbing.  Let's hope that the weather stays fine this year.  I have cycled on Dartmoor in apocalyptic rain before - it's really exposed up there.  (Completed 4 hours 32 minutes).
6. Plymouth breakwater Swim 16/8/2015.  A 2.2 mile sea swim from Plymouth breakwater back to Tinside at the Hoe.  The furthest I have swum so far (in January) in one go is about 2,000m in training.  I need to double my distance.  It's the equivalent of 160 laps of a 25m pool (if you manage to go in a straight line).
7. Dawlish Triathlon 20/9/2015.  Standard distance: 1,500m sea swim, 40k cycle, 10k run.
8. Drogo 10, 15 November 2015 .  A tough but beautiful trail race on Dartmoor at Castle Drogo with about 1,900 ft of ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment